We have taken several steps to increase the share of sustainable energy in the operations, whilst ensuring a safe and healthy work environment as well as local environment.
● Reducing carbon footprints by utilising Flue Gas
○ The Flue gas produced from the DRI facility is processed in the Waste Heat Recovery Boiler to get around 50 % of the steam needed to generate electricity in the Captive Power Plant (CPP). It has helped bring down CPP’s coal requirement to half, thus reducing the consumption of natural resources.
● Solar Power Plant
○ A 1 MW Solar Plant has been set up at Tankajoda, Sundargarh, under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission (JNNSM) to increase dependency on sustainable energy sources.
● Water Harvesting
○ Water is precious and depleting ground water across the globe has made us to rethink our water consumption and hence, we actively invested in setting up a water harvesting facility at the plant to harvest the rainwater to replenish the water table and cater to a fraction of our needs
● Energy Efficient transformers and IE4 Motors
○ SMFA has installed IE4 motors as standard across the plant along with upgradation of the transformers to help increase energy efficiency and lower our net power consumption
● Brick manufacturing using Fly Ash
○ The fly ash produced in the thermal power plant is utilized to make high quality bricks. This helps in proper waste management and contributes a part in the revenue generation also caters to in-house requirement of bricks